Thursday, January 3, 2013

LPG 101

A few days ago, we ran out of LPG while cooking our lunch and we had to get a new tank fast. This was the first time I was going to personally purchase a tank of LPG so I called a trusted supplier.

The supplier asked me some questions to facilitate the delivery, the LPG brand, and type of LPG tank that we preferred. I said the brand that I wanted but wasn't immediately sure what to reply to his question: "de roskas ba?" Holding the phone on one hand, I promptly checked the tank we had and answered "yes" to the man on the phone.

Thanks to my dad, I knew what the man was talking about and would like to share this little bit of practical knowledge. Aside from the different sizes and brands of LPG tanks, it is more important to know the type of connector the tank has. Each type of connector requires a specific type of regulator and the regulator is needed for us to safely connect a hose from the LPG tank to our gas range. There are 3 types of LPG connectors that I am currently aware of and here are some pictures of what they might look like:


At the left we have a regulator for the Shellane brand (or now known as Solane). In the middle we have the POL regulator. Lastly we have a snap-on regulator at the right.

If you have a Shellane/Solane regulator, then I believe you're stuck with that LPG brand. If you have the POL regulator like I do, you will need a tank that has a threaded connector like a nut to a screw --> referred to as "de roskas" in Tagalog. And if you have a snap-on regulator, you'd have to get an LPG tank with a single piece of grooved brass jutting out.

Now that we've sorted that out, we got our tank delivered and the delivery man was asking for the old empty LPG tank. We gave it to him and he gave me an odd look and said that we had to pay an extra 500 because we were getting a branded tank in exchange for the empty unbranded tank.

This came to me as a surprise and this is something that I feel everyone should be aware off as well. Our older branded tank was unfortunately replaced with an unbranded one by a dodgy supplier and we didn't think much of the odd swap at that time. To avoid this surprise expense, always check if the delivered tank is the correct brand of tank If you don't have an empty tank, I believe you'll have to shell out some money as well.

In the end, I paid the extra 500 without much hesitation, because I knew that branded tanks typically go through some form of quality control for safety. And I could tell that it was worth it because we were getting a shiny new tank in exchange for a rusty old unbranded tank. I quickly connected the new tank to our gas range and a had lunch shortly thereafter...phew!

12 comments:

  1. oi bry! kaw ba yan? happy new year!!! :) good to hear from you! kamusta?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year! yeah, it's me and we're doing fine.

      Delete
  2. Good read. I too was asked the same question before when I ordered a new tank. I didn't know the difference- Good thing the supplier brought the right match after describing him what my tank looked like. That gave me the impression that the most common regulator was the snap-on one.

    Btw, how do you differentiate a "branded" tank from an "unbranded" one? Is it by the name/logo itself that's displayed on the tank? Can't they just refurbish an old "unbranded" tank and make it look like it's a legit one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The branded ones typically are from reputable companies like Phoenix. If you want a more accurate description of unbranded tanks, those are what you call 'paihi' or 'patulo'. Those tanks doesn't have a brand. But you can also refer to those unknown brands as unbranded ones.

      Regarding your second question, they can do that too but that will automatically make the refurbished tank as SCRAP as per DOE Circular 2011-08-2008.

      Delete
  3. Yup it's me keyks. Based on the description of the delivery man, unbranded ones have no labels, unknown or limited circulation labels on the tank. Branded tanks that I know of are Total, Shellane, Gasul...there might be more but me and my family use the Total brand.

    Scammers can get really creative...I bet they can refurbish a tank and make it look like a real branded tank. That's why I got my tank through a trusted supplier. You can also get LPG tanks in some gas stations, but you'll have to carry the tank home yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Thanks for the great details, i have bookmarked your blog for the future updates about LPG Gas, Adapter.

    We are leading gas suppliers company engaged in LPG Gas, Gas Cylinder, Gas Bottle, LP Gas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good read mate, thanks for sharing this awesome information.With us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It was very useful to know the importance of branded LPG Cylinder

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for featuring our LPG regulators on your blog. We appreciate it <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. When it comes to safety, a disposable helium tank is an ideal choice. Because the tank is disposable, there is no worry of having to worry about the safe operation of a larger, more complex helium tank. The tanks come with detailed instructions, making the operation of the tank very simple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LPG valves are essential components in the safe handling and distribution of liquefied petroleum gas, ensuring controlled flow and preventing leaks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ein gastank unterirdisch bietet eine sichere Lagerungsoption für Gase wie LPG. Diese Tanks sind unterirdisch installiert, was zusätzliche Sicherheit und eine effiziente Raumnutzung ermöglicht.

    ReplyDelete